Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I Write Like

Fun new toy....this website lets you plug in a sample of your writing, then compares it to famous writers and spits out the one that's most like you.  You know I am so obsessed with this concept!

So far I've plugged in this and got....J.D. Salinger!  Then I plugged in this and got....Gertrude Stein?!?!  I also plugged in this and got....J.K. Rowling (that's better!).  Then this and got....James Joyce.  And then I stopped, because that's my favorite piece of writing right now, and really, once you get James Joyce, well, you should quit while you're ahead.

Except then, I didn't really quit, because like I said before, obsessed!  So then I tried this which got me Ernest Hemingway, and then this which got Mary Shelley.  Apparently it works by comparing the words you use most often to the words they used most often.  So it's really not a comparison of style so much as content.  Out of curiosity, I plugged in a little bit of Endymion and apparently John Keats writes like William Shakespeare.  Hilarious!  And it seems that Emily Dickinson, rather than writing like herself, actually writes like Charles Dickens.

Then I couldn't resist plugging in ALL of the afore-linked posts from my blog in one big mish-mash (chronologically, of course, because I'm anal like that) and I got Chuck Palahniuk, who I've never heard of before, but apparently he wrote Fight Club.  So, cool, I guess.  And now I really am done.

No comments:

Post a Comment