Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Fish Can't Fly and Hawks Can't Swim

I'm in Arlington for work this week. Every year in August we hold a three day meeting to help prepare our sales reps for the coming year. We cover product knowledge, operational updates and all the marketing tools and programs we've provided to equip them to do their jobs. This year, we added an extra component. Some back to basics sales training.

Our group is an interesting mix. We have some seasoned pros who are so natural at their sales techniques they don't even have to think about it. And we have some fresh guys who are still a little wet behind the ears. I have no doubt that a little extra training and some basic reminders are a benefit for everyone. But here's my question: are there some things that just can't be taught?

I would be a terrible salesperson. No getting around it. I could learn all the tips, all the tricks, all the techniques, and it would still never become natural for me. Sure, I could muddle through it. I might even make a sale or two. But I could never soar. And if I depended on it for my bread and butter? Let's just say I'd be in big trouble. I'm more of a fish.

The guys on our sales team this year, they're naturals. Some of them have it down a little better, some are a little more polished, but all of them can take wing and really fly. These guys are a more like eagles, and I'm a little in awe of them today.

Of course, most of them probably could't coordinate a meeting or put together an entire product catalog. So I guess they're probably glad my job is not up to them. And I'm so glad their job is not up to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment