Monday, July 18, 2011

We Heart Waco Farewell Tour - Shipley's Donuts

I'm not a big sweet-eater. I'd take a bag of flaming hot Cheetos over a slice of cake any day (unless that cake happens to be chocolate and served with a side of fresh berries) and I'd almost always choose french fries over cookies. So I'm not generally a big fan of donut shops. Shipley's however is an exception.


I think it was Libby Floyd (now Libby Starr) who originally introduced me to Shipley's delicious sausage and cheese kolaches. They're soft and doughy and filled with melted cheese and a slightly spicy link and they are one of my favorite breakfast treats. I usually like to follow one up with a chocolate iced donut, just for good measure.


When Keith and I were first dating, I liked to show up on his doorstep mid-morning on Saturday and wake him up with a bag of kolaches in hand and a box of donuts tucked under my arm. Like all good Southern girls, I knew exactly how much the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.


Since our favorite Shipley's location is right on our way to church, we stopped by Sunday morning for breakfast to go. It was a good good-bye to our favorite donut shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment