Monday, July 18, 2011

We Heart Waco Farewell Tour - Common Grounds


Oh, Common Grounds, how much I owe you. I have you to thank/blame for my ridiculous coffee addiction, first of all. You also served as the backdrop for so many memories. Moments big and small, forever friendship and fleeting crushes. So many events in my life at Baylor seem connected to Common Grounds.


Like many other Baylor legacy girls, I lived in Collins my freshman year. It was the same dorm my mother lived in her first year at Baylor, and it was right down the street from Common Grounds. As a freshman girl from a relatively small and completely un-hip South Texas town, Common Grounds epitomized the college experience for me. From the funky, eclectic decor to the constant bustling energy of caffeine-buzzed college students it felts grown-up and cool. Rush-dates with sorority girls, first-dates with frat boys, gossip and giggling with girlfriends, it all happened at Common Grounds.


I started off drinking mochaccinos, the frothy, whipped cream topped confections that are essentially coffee flavored milk-shakes, but quickly graduated to the hard stuff. Common Grounds is really THE place I learned to first appreciate and then desperately need coffee. My favorite (every one's favorite, really) is the cowboy coffee. A cowboy coffee is rich, black coffee shaken with creamy half and half and secret sauce, then poured over perfectly crushed ice. I drink it in large, greedy, delicious gulps. No one knows exactly what the secret sauce is, and Common Grounds employees seem threatened upon pain of death never to reveal it. Many have tried and failed to replicate it. It remains a delectable mystery that I will crave as long as I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment