Sunday, July 17, 2011

We Heart Waco Farewell Tour - Cafe Cappuccino

Generally I'm not a big breakfast eater. Mornings were always hectic growing up and I adopted a habit of grabbing a bite here and there. As I've grown older it's only grown worse. I am not what you'd call a morning person. Even a precious few moments of sleeps seems more important to me than the time it would take to actually prepare a breakfast. All that being said, there is nothing I love more than sleeping in a little bit on a weekend morning and then sitting over a long, leisurely breakfast at Cafe Cappuccino.


I waited tables at Cafe Cappuccino several morning a week during my senior year at Baylor. I tied a black apron around my waist and poured mug after mug of steaming, richly flavored coffee. I balanced trays of sweet, fluffy pancakes large as a dinner plate. I warmed jars full of sticky slow-pouring syrup and grew ever more dependent on my morning shot of caffeine.


The next year Erin and I lived together and made Saturday mornings at Cafe Cappuccino a regular occurrence. We'd wake up, brush our teeth and hair, and don a pair of flip flops without bothering to change out of our pajamas or put on any makeup and we'd make our way to Cafe Cappuccino. We'd split a breakfast quesadilla and one giant buttermilk pancake and we'd guzzle coffee while we talked gossip and boys and faith and love, before spending an hour or two winding our way through the aisles of dusty "junk" at Laverty's. Often it was just the two of us. Other times we were joined by Kelly or Lori or Michael or Alex.



Cafe Cappuccino is still a favorite weekend treat, although it's Keith splitting that pancake with me now instead of Erin. We stopped by Sunday after church and enjoyed coffee, pancakes, migas, the works. Nothing makes me smile like a steaming mug of coffee, cream and sugar swirled in, and a pancake so big you can hardly finish it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is so awesome! I can almost taste the deliciousness! I loved those morning. I also love that the traditions lives on with Keith :)

    ReplyDelete