Friday, October 29, 2010

Is Starbucks Breaking Up With Me?

I've been making more trips to Starbucks lately. Whether it's due more to late nights, hard work and lack of sleep, or to the triumphant seasonal return of my favorite pumpkin spice latte, the result is the same: more $3.00 charges to my credit card, more caffeine in my system, and more time with my friendly, neighborhood baristas.

But I've been puzzled by something lately. Every single time I leave the Starbucks counter or drive-through window the perky baristas force coupons into my hands, "You can get $1 off our new Starbucks Via," they happily chirp. Or they're foisting samples down my throat, "Have you tried the new cinnamon spice flavored Via?" they ask. "You can make it at home for only about $1 per serving!" they crow. Via is suddenly everywhere, and it's being touted desperately by every Starbucks employee I cross paths with.

And every time I refuse the coupons, and every time I decline the free samples. Because here's the thing. This might be the easiest and cheapest way to make the best-tasting coffee I've ever swallowed. But if it is, I don't want to know about it. I really just don't even want to know. Because I don't want to make my Starbucks coffee at home. I have H.E.B. coffee for that. And I don't want to whip out a Via packet and stir it into my bottled water on a long road trip. Half the fun of a road trip is scouting out the next Starbucks stop. And I don't want to think that capturing the taste of Starbucks coffee is as simple as rip, dump, stir. I like thinking of Starbucks as an indulgence, as somewhat exclusive. I like getting away from the office and stopping at the corner Starbucks and being slightly weirded out yet oddly comforted by the overly-friendly young hipster taking my order. I like the smell of coffee filling my nostrils. I like the sound of the espresso machine and the steamer.

My love of and loyalty to Starbucks is based on the Starbucks experience as much as on Starbucks coffee. Maybe even more-so. And Starbucks used to understand this. They built a brand around being trendy and cool and costing more than everybody else but being totally worth it. A Starbucks was a place to come in, sit down, relax, and stay awhile. But more and more, I've seen Starbucks pulling away from alignment with that original brand image. And now, suddenly, I feel like they're trying to convince me to save my money and stay away.

Do you not want to take my hard-earned money in trade for delicious frothy creations? Do you not want me around anymore? Even at the drive through? You'd rather I sat at home all alone and stirred up my own one buck per pop brews? Are you breaking up with me, Starbucks? What did I do wrong?

I have to tell you, Starbucks, I'm not a girl to sit around and wallow. If Via is all you have to offer me, I can find steamy, hot, tantalizing coffee someplace else. Someplace that wants me. That truly appreciates me. You're not the only coffee in town.

But I'd rather stick with you, Starbucks. We have such a long history, such a real connection. Please love me again! And please stop insisting I try Via.

1 comment:

  1. Starbucks wants you, and just wants you to know they are there when you need them - camping, plane flight, hotel room before you're ready to see the world. Those are the places I've loved having my VIA. I like you, LOVE Starbucks and VIA is not a trade, it's an addition to my addiction. :)

    ReplyDelete