Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I'm Already Craving

It's a fight Keith and I have had every year of our marriage, and probably one we'll continue to have each year around this time. I'm already itching to buy a new calendar for the upcoming year, and he thinks I should wait until January when they all go on sale.

Is his point of view sensible, logical, practical? Well, yes, of course! When is he ever not? But should that practicality overrule all the emotional factors that lead to me wanting a new calendar now? I'm just not sure I can help myself.

I just love wordsy things, and papery things, and designy things, and inspriationy things, and changey things, and organizationy things. And a calendar manages to be all these things at once. It brightens the vanilla walls of my little office, it brightens my day. The patterns or photos or artwork or inspirational quotes change from month to month and imbue me with a little extra creativity. And I love filling in all those little blank numbered boxes with reminders and appointments and special occasions and then sitting back and looking at the neat, organized little grid that is now a road map to my life.

I love calendars. And choosing a new one each year has become a sort of ritual for me, as well. Who do I want to be this year? What do I want my calendar to say about me? Will I need bigger spaces because I'm going to have more to fill up my time? Should I choose one with inspirational sayings that will give me extra courage and fortitude throughout the day? Or do I want to get lost in beautiful colors and patterns? Do I feel more modern this year, or more vintage? Can I get away with a retro pin-up girl calendar at work?

I love pondering these questions. I love sorting through all the various options. It's a tiny bit of self-reinvention that I get to do every year. Here are a few of the options I'm loving today.

Found this whimsical little gem on Etsy.

And I love the faded colors and vintage style of this one!

I think the black and white simplicity of this one makes it perfect for my busy, black, white and red kitchen

How sweet are these lovely vintage images of girls with books?

Then there's my perennial favorite Mary Engelbreit calendar...
In the end, I'll probably end up getting two...one for the kitchen and one for my office. But I'll take a little more time before I decide. I'm trying to compromise here. And I may not actually be able to wait until they go on sale . . . but I'll at least try!

No comments:

Post a Comment