Monday, October 25, 2010

Baylor Homecoming Win

I think I've mentioned before that I've been a Baylor fan for as long as I can remember. And that being a Baylor fan can really have its ups and downs.

This is one of the "up" times. As of Saturday's six hour Homecoming game between Baylor and Kansas State, the Bears have managed to pull out six wins, make them bowl eligible for the first time since the mid-90's. As we sat through lightning delays, heavy wind, driving rain, even plummeting temperatures, it really felt like even the fundamental elements of the earth were acknowledging the mystical feeling surrounding the game. The Bears really battled it out for their win, and the fans really battled it out to stay put and see it through and after four nail-biting, anxiety-inducing quarters we gained the reward.


I've been to lots of Baylor games- some completely disheartening, some incredibly close losses, even one or two really exciting wins, but I've never been to a game that felt like this before. That felt like so much rested on it. That felt like we were on the cusp of greatness. That felt like I was just as much a participant from my seat in the stands as any of the players on the field. It felt like it mattered that I was there, like it was critical for me to stay there and cheer the team. I'm sure I wasn't the only Baylor fan to experience that feeling.


I'm so glad we were there. So glad we waited out the wind and rain. So glad we saw the victory. So glad that I've loved this school for so long. Maybe even a little glad that this has been so long in coming, like the waiting has made our success even sweeter. I'm so glad my parents raised me to love this school and this team. So glad to call it my alma mater. And so glad to have married a man who loves Baylor just as much as I do. It was a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment