Thursday, February 4, 2010

What Happened Last Night

Keith is getting very close to completing his dissertation and becoming a full-fledged PhD.  I mean VERY
CLOSE.  Like three out of four main chapters approved with one still hanging in the balance.  And last night, that critical fourth chapter was in the hands of one of his pickiest readers, awaiting judgement.  Keith was on pins and needles all night.  Much praying was heard.  And cursing.  And the merits of animal sacrifice were debated.  For instance, if we sacrificed the newest kitten in our menagerie, the tiny white one that keeps peeing on the laundry room floor, might that be just the element needed to cement the reader's decision in Keith's favor?  I mean, we love our kitties but we really, really need this dissertation to go through and pronto so Keith can graduate this semester.  So we joked, and hoped, and prayed.

And then later I fell asleep on the couch watching Gilmore Girls while Keith alternately read and muttered about what a bitch Rory is (we're watching Season 3, while she's tennis balling it between liking Jess and liking Dean and it really isn't her finest moment).  Anyway, I'd been asleep for I don't know how long, and these weird sounds started to penetrate through the fog of dreams.  There were random noises and shufflings and whispers.  It was honestly a little creepy.  I flung off my sleep haze and popped open my eyes with a gasp to find Keith crawling around the living room on his hands and knees hissing "Eowyn!  Eowyn!" in the loudest whisper ever.  For those of you following along at home, Eowyn is the gray, fluffy kitty.  We have four, it's okay if you're confused.  We are too (clearly).

Me:  What are you doing?
Keith (slightly startled):  I'm....trying to get Eowyn to purr.
Me:  .....
Keith:  I got rejected by Ransom and Falcor and I'm not going to bed until I get one of the cats to purr.
Me:  Are you drunk?
Keith (sheepishly):  ....maybe. A little bit.
Me:  .....
Keith:  Let's go to bed.

And then he crashed into our closet door.

And yes, I know that the first part of this post isn't at all related to the end of it, except that both things happened last night.  And I find them amusing.  And will probably regret recounting them here.  Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment