Monday, September 20, 2010

Musings for Monday

This song came randomly playing over my iPod the other day and it was just suddenly....nostalgia all over the place


Remember the movie Free Willy? It was released in 1993, when I was 12 years old and at the height of my oh-my-gosh-i-want-to-save-the-world!-rain-forests!-endangered-animals! phase. I started a club at my school called Kids C.A.R.E (Caring And Rescuing our Environment), and all my folders and notebooks were covered with things like sea turtles and killer whales and cute little baby seals. And how cute was Jason James Richter in that movie? I had such a crush! Also, I wanted to grow up to be a marine biologist and live in a submarine with dolphins. I figured it was the closest I'd ever get to my lifelong dream of becoming a mermaid.

The reminiscence also got me thinking: Keith mentioned on his blog the other day (and I agree) that science is no good at telling us Stories. Religion is much better at giving us the Who's and the Why's and the Meaning of Things. Since thinking about that, I've also noticed that, in politics, the liberals are much better at telling compelling Stories than conservatives are. I wanted to save the environment and save the world as a little girl because of the compelling Story behind that idea. And as much as I also believed in other things (take "Family Values", for example), saving the planet was the Story I was most impassioned about. Interesting, no?

Also, just what exactly does it mean to "Hold me like the River Jordan," anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment