Monday, September 27, 2010

Fall is Flirting


What a morning! The temperature is hovering somewhere around fifty-four degrees and there's a lovely crisp chill to the air. The sun is shining with that perfect angle, just the right slant to light the whole world all hazy-golden and gleaming.

I would love to be outside today. The first-fruits of fall are calling me like a siren's song. But there is work to be done, and I'm tethered to a desk and a computer screen and responsibilities.

I would love to be hanging fall decorations. Festoons of crisp colorful leaves and scarecrows and pumpkins. But the decorations are tucked in the attic, and the entrance to the attic is through the guest-room closet, and the guest-room closet is blocked with those last three boxes I never got around to unpacking after Keith and I married, plus another whole stack of boxes waiting for the garage sale that I have yet to organize.

I would love to be trying out this recipe. But it is full of flour and sugar and fat and all kinds of other delicious things that I shouldn't be eating right now.

Yet fall is flirting with me, and maybe, just maybe, thinking about staying. There will be time, there will be days, for basking in the briskness, and prettying up the house, and baking tasty treats. I'll content myself, for now, with gazing through wide open windows, and lighting a pumpkin spice candle when I get home tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment