Tuesday, September 21, 2010

It's Real if Wikipedia Says It Is

Dyscalculia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dyscalculia or math disability is a specific learning disability or difficulty involving innate difficulty in learning or comprehending mathematics. It is akin to dyslexia and can include confusion about math symbols. Dyscalculia can also occur as the result of some types of brain injury.

The word dyscalculia can be pronounced either as "dis-cal-qu-lee-ah"[1] or "dis-kal-KOOL-ee-ah".[2]

Dyscalculia is a lesser known disability, similar and potentially related to dyslexia and developmental dyspraxia. Dyscalculia occurs in people across the whole IQ range, and sufferers often, but not always, also have difficulties with time, measurement, and spatial reasoning. Current estimates suggest it may affect about 5% of the population.


See also: the reason my brain has completely quit functioning on even the most basic level, and migraines like swarms of killer bees are attacking the area directly behind my eyes.

We're doing price cards at work this week. I should not be trusted with price cards. Or really any type of math or calculations or numbers. Ever. Yet somehow this is my responsibility every year. I think maybe someone is trying to kill me. I'll let you know if I make it till tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment