Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I'm Fascinated with Fascinate


Many of you could have predicted this. I'm keenly interested in exploring more about the Seven Triggers of Fascination that I posted about on Monday. I downloaded the Kindle version of Sally's book onto my iPad last night and I can't wait to dig into it this weekend. In the meantime, I sated my curiosity by combing through Sally's website, blog archives and (you'll never believe it) Facebook page. And you all know how much I hate Facebook.

I have a few comments to make about my F-Score results. Passion as my primary trigger makes perfect sense. I'm definitely a warm, connective, emotionally available person, and I do believe people are drawn to me because of that. And I'm certainly a communicator.

Mystique as my secondary makes sense too. As expressive as I may appear, I still usually conceal or leave out more than I express. In fact, I'm most likely to channel my Passion/Connection primary trigger towards others in a way that make them feel comfortable expressing themselves. Frequently that means my own expression takes a back seat while I suss out and explore the emotions of others.

But let's talk about Rebellion as my dormant trigger. Sally's model equates rebellion with surprise, creativity, and untraditional ideas. If Rebellion is my dormant trigger that means I am least likely to fascinate in this way. And yet, I'm normally perceived as very creative person. In fact, creativity is a vitally important part of what I do on a daily basis. I can certainly agree that I'm not likely to surprise others. I'm usually pretty dependable. And I'm not likely to buck a traditional system unless I see glaring errors in it.

I honestly thought my dormant trigger would be Alarm, because I almost have an aversion to people and situations that are all about urgency and negative consequences. I'm a deadline girl only when I have to be, when I need to meet expectations within a work environment. So even when I adhere to Alarm, it's being driven by another facet of my personality (Trust). And I almost never apply pressure to others in this way.

It's interesting.... Maybe the scores were pretty close between dormant Alarm and dormant Rebellion and there was one little question that tipped the scales? Or maybe the model is flawed/skewed by equating creativity with Rebellion and rule-breaking. Aren't there lots of other ways to be and be perceived as creative? Or perhaps my creativity is just another trait that's expressed through the lens of my Passion/Mystique archetype, and as such is more subtle and nuanced. Because I'm certainly not an in-your-face, different-just-for-the-sake-of-difference kind of person.

One way or another, it definitely has me thinking. Tonight I'm going to walk through Sally's template for creating a 9 Second Elevator Pitch. I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime, take the F-Score Test! Email me your results!

Above image from Fascinate on Facebook. Don't you think that pretty well captures it?

No comments:

Post a Comment