Tuesday, May 10, 2011

From "The Fantastic Imagination" by George MacDonald

If a writer’s aim be logical conviction, he must spare no logical pains, not merely to be understood, but to escape being misunderstood; where his object is to move by suggestion, to cause to imagine, then let him assail the soul of his reader as the wind assails an aeolian harp. If there be music in my reader, I would gladly wake it. Let fairytale of mine go for a firefly that now flashes, now is dark, but may flash again. [...]
The best way with music, I imagine, is not to bring the forces of our intellect to bear upon it, but to be still and let it work on that part of us for whose sake it exists. [...]
If any strain of my “broken music” makes a child’s eyes flash, or his mother’s for a moment grow dim, my labour will not have been in vain.
HT: Mr. Pond at The Hog's Head

No comments:

Post a Comment