Friday, April 23, 2010

Whatever Happened to Big Head Todd and the Monsters?

I remember the very first time I ever heard of Big Head Todd.  I was a freshman in college and had just tasted my first ever Freebirds burrito.  We were on a road trip in Austin, Texas.  One of my friends had been hitting up some random college guys sitting at a table near us and they told her they were going to a Big Head Todd concert that night.  My friend totally flipped.  You would have thought they said they were going to see Dave Matthews at his very own house tonight, so much did she flip.  Apparently, Big Head Todd was a big deal in her home state of Nebraska.

She immediately bailed on our group and headed off to the concert with these random guys.  The rest of us, having never heard of Big Head Todd, continued on our charted course to some kind of SAE Jungle party that night and proceeded to do stupid things while dressed in camo.  Sometimes I wish I had hopped on the Big Head Todd train with my Nebraska friend right then and there.  However, I did eventually get my hands on some of their music and was immediately hooked.  I mean, Bittersweet Surrender, their cover of Wild Horses, An Angel Leads me On, Broken Hearted Savior.  These are great songs!

I listened to a few of those great songs this morning and was struck again (as I so often am when I listen to their great songs) by the fact that we've had no new great songs from them in quite a while.  My mother-in-law ran a physical therapy business near Boulder, CO and one of the Big Head Todd boys (drummer, base-player, can't remember which) was a patient of hers for a while.  Incidentally, she told him she was a big fan, especially of that song about living in a beautiful world.  Yeah, she confused them with Coldplay.  He was very gracious about it, though.  Anyway, he was always talking about a new record they were working on and this was several years ago, so what happened?  Where are they?

It makes me so sad when really good bands that you really love just suddenly fall off the map like that (The Damwells, anybody?).  Which "lost" bands do you miss most?  Here's hoping we hear more from them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment