Monday, May 10, 2010

These Are Crazy Times

Taught Sunday School last Sunday.  One small child (who would resemble Hermione Granger in both appearance and temperament if Hermione were ever so slightly less endearing for being a bit bossier and meaner) informs me that she spells yogurt the British way:  Y-O-U-G-O-U-R-T.
Me:  That's very interesting, Hermione.  How did you learn that spelling?
Hermione:  I spell lots of things the British way.  
Me:  Is that from reading lots of C.S. Lewis?  I kind of picked up on things like that when I was your age reading Chronicles of Narnia.  
Hermione: No, I just naturally spell things the British way.  
Me (eyebrows raised):  Really?
Hermione (gloatingly):  Yes.  It's because I'm three quarters British.  And also three quarters French.  
Me:  Well, that's...a lot of quarters.

Spent Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday out on the road for work.  HR issues.  Meetings.  Visiting with farmers.  Snapping pictures.  Getting marketing feedback from customers.  Collecting testimonials.  Walking corn fields in 90 degree weather.  Sleeping in hotel rooms.  Missing my husby.  The summer marketing season has officially begun.

Thursday, tried to cram four days of work into one moderately quiet day at the office in preparation for meetings all day Friday.  Big meetings.  With big players at a big company.  That consistently causes big problems for us.  Big, long day.

Friday night we began prep work for another painting weekend.  Two twelve hour days, four trips to Lowe's, three cans of paint and one pair of completely ruined jeans later- we are done painting the living room, entry alcove and bedroom alcove!  We're chipping away at this home improvement thing and it's a good feeling at the end of it all.  Not during it though, because the during part is pretty hard and horrible and mostly I just want to give up all the time.  But Keith keeps me going.  And it's worth it.  Half of our house looks utterly transformed and I'm looking forward to finishing the rest.

This week marks more crazy things.  Keith's graduation is five days away.  I can't wait to see him standing on that stage decked out in all his doctoral regalia.  Don't worry, will post lots of pictures.  We also have three sets of parents coming in town for the commencement festivities this weekend, so we'll be celebrating Mother's Day (late) on Sunday with a brunch at our house.  Still not sure how we're going to seat nine people in our little cracker box (eek!) but we'll figure it out.  I love hostessing, and have big plans for a lovely time.  Also, I've got major deadlines looming (like, today!) and more travel on the schedule (in weeks to come).

I should probably get busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment