Friday, December 3, 2010

Getting in the Christmas Spirit


It was a little slow around the office this morning, so I was put to work fluffing out the branches of our newly purchased, pre-lit, office Christmas tree. It occurred to me while dutifully fluffing away, that besides ordering gingerbread lattes at Starbucks every chance I get, this the only even remotely Christmas-related thing I have done. I have not yet pulled the Christmas decorations down from the attic. I have not done any holiday baking. I haven't embarked on my annual attempt at doing holiday crafts. I haven't done any Christmas shopping, unless you count a single online purchase. Heck, I haven't even made my Christmas list yet.

I continued fluffing those branches on the cutest, six foot tall, pencil style Christmas tree you have ever seen, and suddenly it all clicked into place. I would buy one just like it. After all, Keith and I have been prevaricating over what to do about our tree. I love live trees, have always adamantly insisted upon them. But the kitties will rip one to shreds, we won't have much time to enjoy one before we leave to spend Christmas in Colorado, it will dry up and die and leave it's needles all over the carpet before we get back. Plus, I'd have to pay about the same amount for a pretty tree that will die in a few weeks as I would for an artificial one that will last for years. I must confess, somehow I've actually become practical about Christmas trees. Blame my mom. She insisted on buying an artificial tree for the first time two years ago and I think it broke something inside me.

And now I've discovered an artificial tree that I actually like, one that won't take up too much space in our tiny and already cluttered living room. One that will be adorable in an entryway or guest room someday, when I regain my sanity and once again return to my only-a-live-tree-will-do ways. My Christmas-deprived spirit seized on this single idea with manic glee. This will be it, I thought with triumph. This will bring Christmas to my life, to my heart. This tree. I need this tree. So on my lunch break, I set off to buy one.

There are a few things that decidedly don't put me in the Christmas spirit. The crowded Hobby Lobby parking lot is one of them. Another is rushing straight to the Christmas tree section only to discover that my tree, my perfect tree, the one that will save Christmas for me, has been sold out. They are not expecting any more shipments. They do not have any tucked away in the hidden corner of some darkened supply room. I know, because I asked the sullen Hobby Lobby employee that exact question and she swore to me that there are none left.

However, I talked to Steven over at the Hobby Lobby in Temple. He still had four of my trees in stock and was willing to put one on hold for me until the end of the day. And my sweet, sweet husband agreed to drive an hour and a half round-trip just to get me the tree my heart is set on. I am such a lucky girl! And if knowing that doesn't put me in the Christmas spirit, I don't know what will.

No comments:

Post a Comment